Education & Growing Up

If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the person in your child’s school or nursery responsible for special educational needs. This person is called the ‘SEN coordinator’, or ‘SENCO’. If your child isn’t in a school or nursery, contact the local council or your doctor.

For more information about special education needs and how to apply for an assessment visit HERE

Contact a Family (CAF) now provides a SEN National Advice Service. The service is a one-stop shop on all education issues. To contact the helpline telephone 0808 808 3555 or email or visit

Download the TSA information leaflet for teachers

Moving On to Secondary School

The move from primary to secondary education can be stressful for any young person, but those with learning disabilities or other special educational needs (SEN) are under even greater stress. The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities have produced an easy read guide to help children with the transition to secondary school.  

To download the Moving on Guide click HERE

Post Sixteen Education

Many people with TSC have no difficulties at school or college and gain qualifications and jobs, but some find that their TSC affects their learning. It is often difficult to get help with these sorts of problems. Contact your TSC Adviser if your doctor is unable to help you or if you are uncertain about who may be able to help you. 

Contact a Family provides a one stop shop for parents and other family members caring for a child with SEN, on all education issues, including post-16 provision, school transport and the 16–19 Bursary Fund.

To contact the helpline telephone 0808 808 3555 or email or visit


Children with TSC may have behaviour problems. It is difficult to know why they have these problems. It may be to do with the tubers in the brain, epilepsy, communication difficulties or difficulties in understanding the world around them due to learning problems. They may also have difficulties in sleeping.

There are separate guides published by the Challenging Behaviour Foundation (CBF) for adults, teenagers and children. The guides have been developed in collaboration with the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE). The CBF is a charity specialising in severe learning disabilities and behaviour described as challenging.

The guides help family carers to:

  • Understand what good support and services look like
  • Work in partnership with staff who are involved with the family
  • Find information on what to do and who to contact if the family’s needs are not being met

To download the CBF guides visit: or

Scottish Government link - In Scotland, the term SENCO is not used, instead a lead professional acts as a co-ordinator . 

Download the Guidelines on Behaviour and Learning in TSC  HERE